When big movies like La La Land and Wakefield are on the schedule for this year’s Austin Film Festival it is easy to forget about all the fantastic smaller, local movies being screened. To make sure you don’t miss any hidden gems we’ve selected a film for each day of the festival that we think you should attend:
Thursday – ProGamer
ProGamer explores the emerging world of electronic sports by following professional Starcraft II gamers Naniwa and White-Ra, who navigate worldwide gaming tournaments and their own personal lives.
- Thursday October 13, 2016 7:10pm – 8:42pm
Texas Spirit Theater
Friday – My Life as a Film
For her whole life, Eva Vitija saw her father from behind a camera. An obsessive videographer and documenter, he spent the majority of his time recording and later archiving his family. After he died, Eva decided to turn the camera around, taking over his extensive archive and weaving together footage and family interviews to better understand the man that raised her. My Life as a Film is a personal search for the surprising truths hidden behind a father’s pictures.
- Friday October 14, 2016 7:30pm – 9:07pm
Saturday – Wrestling Alligators
- Saturday October 15, 2016 12:00pm – 1:50pm
Rollins Theatre presented by Capital Metro
Sunday – Funniest
The Funniest Person in Austin contest has been held for over 30 years to determine the best stand-up comedian in the city. This documentary follows the preparations, worries, and hopes of six comedians all looking to take the crown during the 2015 contest. Funniest is an intimate, behind the scenes look at funny people competing to get the last laugh.
Sunday October 16, 2016 9:15pm – 11:05pmRollins Theatre presented by Capital Metro
- Check out Joe Barlow’s interview with the co-director and one of the stars here: http://thecwaustin.com/2016/10/12/austin-comedians-compete-in-funniest-documentary/
- Monday October 17, 2016 7:00pm – 8:52pm
Galaxy Highland 8 presented by Dove Chocolate
- Tuesday October 18, 2016 6:45pm – 8:42pm
Texas Spirit Theater
- Wednesday October 19, 2016 7:00pm – 8:40pm