Republican presidential candidate, Donald John Trump, was elected the 45th president of the United States on Tuesday. Known as a billionaire real-estate developer and celebrity business man, Trump secured over 270 electoral votes thus leaving Democratic Party nominee, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, defeated. The triumph and rise of Mr. Trump has caused political controversy, leaving over 47.5 percent of American voters mourning over the grief that our future holds.
Trump, former reality television star with no government experience, took advantage of racial tension and proved to America that although it is 2016, the country is still very much divided. Through his sexist, bigotry, misogynistic comments, and through his long list of sexual assault allegations, it is evident that Trump is unfit for presidency.
Trump’s victory has left many individuals genuinely fear for their safety. What can we as humans do, to not only fix the clear divide that our country faces, but to stand united as well through political differences? Despite the presidential outcome, our responsibility as humans is to stand tall and united even if we don’t meet eye to eye. Many individuals are left living in daily terror due to the explosive racial tension this presidential campaign has surfaced. Our responsibility now is to make sure those who live in our community feel safe. The following is a list Huffington Post created in order to be constructive and create some peace during the mist of this deeply divisive campaign. Here is what you can do:
There are plenty of organizations out there that simply need your time.
- Combat racism with Showing Up For Racial Justice
- Help your community with AmeriCorps
- End police violence at Campaign Zero
- Support your Muslim family and friends at the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Be a part of your next local election as a poll worker and encourage voters to come out
- Support the LGBTQ community at the Mazzoni Center
- Join an organization that helps immigrants and new Americans.
It’s easy to forget that taking care of yourself is just as important as going out and doing something. If you find yourself in need of someone to talk to or having suicidal thoughts, reach out to the following:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Trans Lifeline: (877) -565-8860
- Trevor Project: (866)-488-7386
- Planned Parenthood: Give women the opportunities for proper healthcare, education, and activism.
- The Future Project: Help the young people of America fulfill their potential.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Help stop domestic violence.
- RAINN: Assist the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network in combating sexual violence, aiding victims, and ensuring that perpetrators are caught.
- ACLU: Uphold the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all by the Constitution and the laws of the United States.
- Friends of the Earth: Contribute to international network of environmental groups. They’ve already vowed to fight the threat Trump poses to the environment.
- Border Angels: Advocate for immigration reform and social justice specifically regarding the U.S.-Mexico border. .
- NextGen Climate Action: Volunteer with this group that works to flight climate change through political action.